The #1 book designed to teach you how to care for patients, people and providers in EMS is bigger and better than ever!
In this revised and expanded edition of People Care, Thom Dick invites you to consider the wisdom and experience of dozens of great caregivers as he explores the art of serving people.
If you read the original book, you'll immediately appreciate at least seven new features of this one:
- Death notification skills, for people who've always been taught to leave that responsibility to others
- Suicide intervention strategies, for people you encounter in the most vulnerable moments of their lives
- Safe procedures for defusing and, when necessary, restraining violent people
- The addition of dozens of photos in a pleasing new layout
- A new chapter full of cases intended to illustrate the lessons of People Care
- Strategies for reconceptualizing burnout and managing it as a balance issue
- Quotes Worth Remembering, a collection of wisdom you can use in your very next encounter with someone who will never be as fortunate as you are.
Sportswriter Walter "Red"Smith once said, "There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein." Well, after staying up all night reading, it's clear to me that Thom opened an artery for you. This is as raw, personal and powerful as anything you'll ever read on caring for others. For the sake of the vulnerable people under your care, I hope you take People Care's lessons to heart. -Mike Taigman, EMS Consultant